Dr. Mariam Ashraf, Chiropractor
Mariam was drawn to the field of healing from a young age. After completing her Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology at the University of Alberta, she found her passion in chiropractic due to the ability to help the body heal and recover with a minimally invasive approach. She continued her studies in Toronto, completing her four year Doctor of Chiropractic degree at the Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College in 2006. Upon graduating, Mariam returned to Edmonton and practised there for 13 years until she recently moved to back to Ontario with her husband to make a home here in downtown Toronto.
Mariam applies an evidence-supported approach to her practice and customizes each patient’s treatment plan according to their individual needs. She utilizes a diverse range of techniques and a multi-disciplinary style of practice and has had extensive experience working closely with many health practitioners including medical doctors, dentists (for jaw issues), physiotherapists, and massage therapists.
Mariam also has additional training in treating temporomandibular dysfunction (TMJD/TMD) and associated craniofacial pain, including headaches. She has been working with TMD patients for over 10 years. She also has been Full Body Certified in Active Release Technique® for many years and applies this effective soft tissue release technique to most patients that she treats, in combination with manipulations to restricted joints, and at-home advice such as exercises and stretches.
- 2020 Co-authored a summary article on patellofemoral knee pain in December issue of the “Journal of the Canadian Chiropractic Association”
- 2020 Published an advice piece on managing jaw pain in March issue of “Spectrum Dental Teamwork”, a dental magazine
- 2019 GLA:D Back certified, co-ran a group exercise class for chronic lower back pain, based on the research-supported concepts of the GLA:D program
- 2019 Presented at American Academy of Orofacial pain on multidisciplinary practice management of TMD (jaw pain and disorders)
- 2018 Custom orthotic therapy seminar by The Orthotic Group (review course)
- 2017 Presentations on back safety in Tanzania during volunteer trip
- 2015-2019 Member of the MASCCP multidisciplinary study club with monthly meetings to discuss current concepts on jaw and facial pain
- 2014 Attended training course in TMD at the University of Alberta
- 2009-2011 Trainer for the Fort Saskatchewan Chiefs senior AAA hockey team
- 2006 Doctor of Chiropractic, Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College
- 2002 Bachelor of Science, Specializing in Psychology (Dean’s List), University of Alberta